If you have already integrated online video into your marketing strategy, you are already on the right track. But, with more and more viewers watching online videos via their smartphones and tablets, it is essential to make sure your video is mobile-friendly.
Whether your online video is being used as a promotional tool or as a way to build brand awareness, it is clear that mobile devices are becoming a critical component in the overall marketing mix. Yory Wurmser, Sr. Analysis at eMarketer in a recent article in Internet Retailer by Bill Siwicki quotes, “Mobile is very important not only in context with direct sales via mobile devices, but also working in conjunction with other channels.”
What’s more, mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets are strong research tools that consumers use to ultimately make a purchase via a computer or in-store. Think about it, how many times a day do you look up from your phone or tablet only to see dozens of other commuters reading something on their mobile devices? Statistics suggest that most of them are probably researching a business or product.
We did a little digging and found some shocking facts about the impact of mobile devices:
- According to Pew Research, 58% of adult in the US own a smartphone and 42% own a tablet computer
- 29% of cell owners describe their cell phone as “something they can’t imagine living without.”
- Approximately 42% of Internet users in North America watched news video content via their smartphones
- 50% of mobile users own both a smartphone and table
- 54% of tablet users watch video on their tablets
- 40% of YouTube’s traffic comes from a mobile device
- 72.1 million US smartphone users watch video from their mobile devices at least monthly in 2013
What does this mean for your business?
While it has been proven that viewers who watch a video on a website are 85% more likely to make a purchase than those who do not, it is imperative that your video is responsive and mobile-friendly. You can test how your video will look on different devices by simply entering your site’s web address into various free online tools such as: