Who doesn’t love a top five list? Well video-makers, this one goes out to you. We are going to discuss the top five things that you should never do in web videos. These things will simply make your video bad. And…
Bad video = bad company
A bad video says, hey world, I just don’t care! A bad video does not increase website traffic, and a bad video does not result in higher sales. Even though you may spend a lot on your online video services, it could still be terrible, so make sure not to do the following:
1. Chose the Wrong Presenter: If you are going the presenter route, do not use an actor with a really heavy accent. That’s great that you found a nice southern belle to sell your product, but her southern accent will not resonate with everyone. Choose a presenter that can appeal to all of your consumers. Make them age appropriate as well, nobody wants to buy life insurance from a teenager.
2. Don’t insult me! If you have a complicated product, explain it to your consumers. But don’t treat us like children; make sure your video does not come across as condescending. And on the insulting note, don’t make any inappropriate jokes…you don’t want to offend anyone either.
3. Enough with the ClipArt. Invest in some graphics, people! Even if you’re on a budget, you can still use something other than clipart. This isn’t the 7th grade science fair, it’s your product or service, so class it up.
4. Don’t Copy another Video: I like the iPhone commercials too, but your explainer video should probably go a different route. While Apple does a great job, they do so because they appeal to their consumer. If you like that style, that is great, but don’t try to replicate – make your video original.
5. Never start by saying, “Let’s make a viral video”: Because you probably won’t. And on top of that, you don’t need to make a viral video. What you need to do it make a video that will appeal to your audience. While I’m not sure what your product is, that audience is most likely not the entire world, so don’t try to get everyone to watch it.
There are many companies that make online videos, but not all of them make great videos. So be careful going forward and make sure not to do anything on this list!